6 c. grated yams
2 T. chopped garlic
2 T. chopped ginger
1 x 19oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
1 1/2 c. mixed nuts
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
2 t. cumin
1 T. chili powder
1 t. coriander
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. pepper
2 T. soy sauce (I use tamari)
2 T. sesame oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. dry breadcrumbs (I use crushed sesame rye crackers)
1. Grate yams in food processor and place in an extra large bowl.
2. Finely chop garlic and ginger in the food processor. Add half the chickpeas and process until smooth. Add to yams.
3. Mash the rest of the chickpeas and add to yams.
4. Grind nuts in the food processor and add to yams.
5. Add the cilantro and all of the spices to the yams.
6. Add soy sauce and sesame oil to the yams and mix well.
7. Add eggs and bread crumbs to - you guessed it - the yams. Add more bread crumbs if needed.
8. Measure into half-cup portions and form into patties.
9. Saute on medium low for 5 minutes per side. Or, freeze and grill.
* Adapted from the Whitewater Cooks recipe book